Monday, November 2, 2020

Using a Pulley: The Joy of Discovery

Each of our lessons on Simple Machines takes on its own character. "Playing" with our pulleys has been the most investigative, trouble-shooting, engaging activities so far.

And when they learn that they get to keep their pulley, you'd think it's their birthday or that they get a trip to Disneyland!

This time our mission is to lift a load using a pulley. 
It's based on the children's picture book, How to Lift a Lion. 

Here are our works in progress:

"Hmmm. what can I use in my Mini-MakerSpace box?"

Each child receives a Beanie Baby to lift. 
"What should I use for a platform for my lobster?"

Each design is unique. 

The Navigators at home get out their kits 
and Mini-MakerSpace boxes, too.

"My pulley works!"

"My animal is getting dizzy from spinning. 
How can I make it stop spinning?"

Another innovative way to anchor the pulley 
in order to lift a moose.

"How can I attach the string to my platform?" 

A flying cute crab!

Look at our scientific thinking: 
  • coming up with ideas
  • thinking outside the box
  • drawing and labeling diagrams
  • using scientific words
  • problem solving
  • going "back to the drawing board"
  • learning from each other
  • recognizing pulleys in the world around us









Collaborative Seabury learning at its best, 
albeit six feet apart and via Zoom!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Grade-isms

A first grader recites 200+ digits of pi!