Wednesday, June 15, 2022

The Year of "Quest"


This year's overarching concept of Quest lined up well with our mission statement:

Seabury's Mission Statement: We challenge gifted children in a community that cherishes each individual and fosters a love of learning, discovery, and creativity.

Quest is one of the four overarching concepts covered in grades 1-4 at Seabury School.  Incorporating this best gifted practice into our integrated studies enables our young, bright students to think broader and deeper, to notice patterns and interconnectedness, and to become thinkers and problem solvers. 

Enjoy the following year-end personal Quest poems. As you can tell, each child's unique voice and individual passions were further developed during this year of Quest. 

I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be a zencaxisist (a scientist who studies physics and chemistry and the axis of the earth.)

I am on a quest to learn about physics and chemistry and the axis of the earth.

I am on a quest to try avocados.

I am on a quest to understand the laws of physics.

I am on a quest to discover more math.

I am on a quest to go home.

I am on a quest to have 1, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cats.

I am on a quest to become a cat.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be an anatomist, a scientist, a pianist, and a teacher or teacher’s helper.

I am on a quest to learn about making cures, to learn new languages, to dissect a body.

I am on a quest to try anatomy, piano writing, cooking, and baking.

I am on a quest to understand the science of the human body, the complex problems in math.

I am on a quest to discover a cure for COVID-19, a planet with life, a secret magic treasure chest.

I am on a quest to go to new places, like Uzbekistan and the Uzbek-chef made plov.

I am on a quest to have kids and teach them anatomy.

I am on a quest to become famous.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be a veterinarian for cats and dogs and birds.

I am on a quest to learn more numbers

I am on a quest to try to learn all about puppies.

I am on a quest to understand the human body.

I am on a quest to discover a new puppy.

I am on a quest to go to Disneyland and work there.

I am on a quest to have puppies.

I am on a quest to become a scientist.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be good.

I am on a quest to learn about bugs.

I am on a quest to try to find a new type of bug.

I am on a quest to understand the bug’s body.

I am on a quest to discover the blue ants.

I am on a quest to go to the jungle!

I am on a quest to have information.

I am on a quest to become an ultra bug expert.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be an artist.

I am on a quest to learn piano lessons.

I am on a quest to try new things.

I am on a quest to understand how to listen to an adult.

I am on a quest to discover technology.

I am on a quest to go crazy. (funny face)

I am on a quest to have sleepovers more often.

I am on a quest to become the “BEST” kid in the world.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be a YouTuber.

I am on a quest to learn more about Minecraft.

I am on a quest to try skydiving.

I am on a quest to understand French.

I am on a quest to discover high tech stuff.

I am on a quest to go to LegoLand.

I am on a quest to have 1,000,000,000,000,000 cats.

I am on a quest to become a YouTuber.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be a doctor.

I am on a quest to learn about the human body.

I am on a quest to try to love people.

I am on a quest to understand love.

I am on a quest to discover inside the human body.

I am on a quest to go to Disneyland.

I am on a quest to have kindness.

I am on a quest to become loving.

I am on a quest.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be happy.

I am on a quest to learn all about bunnies and cats.

I am on a quest to try a big zip line.

I am on a quest to understand tape.

I am on a quest to discover a yummy mushroom.

I am on a quest to go to the beach.

I am on a quest to have 999,999,999,999,999 bunnies and cats.

I am on a quest to become a kitten or bunny.

I am on a quest. Duh.


I Am on a Quest

I am on a quest to be an artist.

I am on a quest to learn about the human body.

I am on a quest to try getting my ears pierced.

I am on a quest to understand Spanish.

I am on a quest to discover a star.

I am on a quest to go to Mexico again.

I am on a quest to have bunnies.

I am on a quest to become an artist.

I am on a quest.


From our Seabury website:

Four broad concepts

As with all levels at Seabury School, integrated, multidisciplinary units are at the core of the primary curriculum. First through fourth graders move through a four-year rotation, with a broad central concept each year – Innovation, Quest, Treasure and Transitions. With those concepts as the lens through which content is studied, students can explore relationships between ideas and apply information in new ways. Asking their own questions, combined with hands-on, real-world experiences, engages students actively in their own learning process. In addition to the integrated skills, sequential skills in reading, writing and math are taught using flexible groups and individual readiness.

Year Two – Quest

A quest is a long, arduous search and as students study the Medieval Period and the Renaissance, they explore the factors that allowed people to move from survival mode to discovery mode. Students ask questions about the motivation and skills it takes to embark on a quest. They also explore the passions that might lead them on a personal quest. Science topics of invention and anatomy weave seamlessly into this overarching concept. Inquiry and careful investigation strategies help students think like Leonardo, observe like Galileo and write like Shakespeare. The students have constructed classroom castles, written illuminated manuscripts, built catapults, hosted a Medieval Feast and participated in an Invention Convention during their Quest year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

First Grade-isms

A first grader recites 200+ digits of pi!